Getting Back in the Black

Feb 8, 2008

What is the Economic Stimulus Package?

A comment over on freemoneyfinance.com really caught my eye just now. I've been trying to figure out exactly how the Economic Stimulus Package is going to affect me and my family over the next year and especially how its going to affect my taxes.

CF had this to say:

***They're temporarily removing the 10% tax bracket on the first $6,000 in income for single filers (total of $600), and the first $12,000 in income for married filers (total of $1,200)***
To use an example: Assume congress never passed this bill, and suppose you are someone (an individual filer) who would receive a $300 refund next year for your 2008 taxes. What would you rather have?

1. No stimulus package: $300 refund in April 2009
2. Stimulus package figured on your tax return: $900 refund in April 2009
3. Stimulus package as it has been passed: $600 in June of 2008 and $300 in April of 2009

I'm taking #3 every time.

While it may be an "advance" on next year's taxes, it's a prepayment of an excess that they've decided to give. If they had passed nothing, we'd be worse off. I hope this makes sense - sorry if it doesn't, but bottom line, we're better off financially with the stimulus than without.




I think thats the best summary so far of what is in store for us. My thanks to CF for clearing it up.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home